|Posted by Eileen Miller on June 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM|
Here is a list of more sample stories and bible verses you can enjoy with your child. My son and I will be revisiting and rereading these bible verses later by going through his journal together.
1) The Land of Hungry Armadillos by Lawrence David (Gus should have served God and shared his crayons with Wendy.)
Bible Verses re: Sharing and Love of Neighbor:
Acts 20:35....."I have always pointed out to you that it is by such hard work that you must help the weak. You need to recall the words of the Lord Jesus himself, who said, 'There is more happiness in giving than receiving."
Matt. 19:19b....."Honor your father and your mother; and 'Love your neighbor as yourself."
Gal. 5:14....."The whole law has found its fulfillment in this one saying: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Gal. 6:10....."While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all men - but especially those of the household of the faith."
Rom. 12: 10b....."Love one another with the affection of brothers. Anticipate each other in showing respect."
2) Clever Jack Takes the Cake by Candice Fleming (A rich king invites a poor boy to a party.)
Bible Verse re: Inviting the Poor to the Banquet:
Luke 14:12-14....."He said to the one who had invited him: 'Whenever you give a lunch or dinner, do not invite your friends or brothers or relatives or wealthy neighbors. They might invite you in return and thus repay you. No, when you have a reception, invite beggars and the crippled, the lame and the blind. You should be pleased that they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid in the resurrection of the just.' "
3) Thunder Boomer by Shutta Crum (Tom saw dad's underwear flying in the storm.)
Bible Verses re: Laughter:
Gen. 21:6....."Sarah then said, 'God has given me cause to laugh, and all who hear of it will laugh with me.' "
Job 8:21....."Once more will he fill your mouth with laughter, and your lips with refoicing."
4) Dimity Dumpty, The Story of Humpty's Little Sister by Bob Graham (Dimity saved her brother Humpty.)
Bible Verses re: To Save (many more too)
Luke 10: 29-37.....Parable of the Good Samaritan
5) The Pigrates Clean Up by Steven Kroll (Pigrates clean the ship.)
Bible Verse re: Keeping Clean while Fasting
Matt. 6:16....."When you fast, you are not to look glum as the hypocrites do. They change the appearance of their faces so that others may see they are fasting. I assure you, they are already repaid"
6) R. Robot Saves Lunch by R. Nicholas Kuszyk (R. Robot found the missing robot.)
Bible Verses re: Lost / Found
Luke 15:1.....Lost Sheep
Luke 15:8.....Lost Coin
Matt. 13:45.....Found Pearl
Matt. 13:44.....Found Treasure
7) Jacobs Tree by Holly Keller (Jacob couldn't wait to grow.)
Bible Verse re: Growth
Matt. 13: 31-35.....Mustard Seed
8. James and the Rain by Karla Kuskin (James walked in the rain with the animals.)
Bible Verse re: Rain
Genisis 7:12....."For forty days and forty nights heavy rain poured down on the earth."
9) Grandfather's Dream by Holly Keller (The crains came back to Vietnam.)
Bible Verse re: Coming Back
Luke 15: 11-32.....Prodigal Son
10) Nugget and Darling by Barbara M. Joosse (Nugget learned not to be jealous.)
Bible Verse re: Learning
Matt. 11: 28-30....."Come to me, all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. Your souls will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden light."
Feel free to share your experience with your child here. When Patrick and I revisit the stories later, we will not have the story book (They were all library materials and have to be returned). We will just have the bible and the journal created by my son whose sentences and pictures will bring up the main point of the story. The journal is a great keepsake too. Patrick will be learning to search the bible to find and read the appropriate passages to me. Also, feel free to share any new stories you do on your own.